Director of Product Management (Austin, TX)
Wi-Fi Alliance is a global trade organization that prizes collaboration. Wi-Fi Alliance staff work with cutting edge technology in a dynamic and inspiring work culture that supports a strong work/life balance, new opportunities, and individual growth. Regardless of discipline, all who work at Wi-Fi Alliance contribute to delivering the terrific user experience for which Wi-Fi is known.
Wi-Fi Alliance seeks a Product Management Director who is an accomplished team player, adept at managing relationships, collaborating and influencing across a variety of organizational functions. He or she will direct a team of product managers, charged with the product portfolio’s contribution to the Wi-Fi Alliance business, building and delivering new products, and increasing the contribution of existing products. In addition, they will advance new ideas based on contact with customers, prospects, and stakeholders within the Wi-Fi ecosystem.
The Product Management Director should be prepared to make decisions with imperfect information, know how to lead without authority, and be comfortable managing chaos, ambiguity and complexity. They are not afraid to pivot, when needed. They must possess a unique blend of business and technical acumen that includes a big-picture vision and the drive to make that vision a reality. They must also enjoy spending time in the market to understand market problems and finding innovative solutions for the broader market.
Communications skills are key to success in this role. The Product Management Director will work with a development counterpart to define product release requirements based on market problems. They will work with product marketing and business development to help define go-to-market strategies by providing key product and market insights. They will also serve as the internal and external evangelist for their portfolio offering, occasionally working to support the sales team, key customers, partners, and analysts. In short, they must be prepared to communicate with all areas of the company and ecosystem.
The Product Management Director is a strategist who will work with the executive team to shape the company’s business strategy and guide a team who translates the vision and goals into actionable tasks. They will set and evolve product portfolio strategy, prioritize portfolio products, build consensus, and coordinate product schedules with engineering teammates.
- Act as the “voice of the market” from the outside-in to the rest of the organization by understanding and regularly communicating Wi-Fi industry macro trends and segment-specific problems
- Analyze market segments and collaborate with leadership to choose the best ones to pursue
- Oversee the creation, organization, and management of user stories and requirements for current and future products based on the market’s problems to drive new product definition
- Ensure the effective management of the entire product life cycle from ideation, product proposal and approval, prototyping and validating new features/products and ideas, and commercialization through end-of-life for all portfolio products
- Develop a portfolio strategy to create and manage product roadmaps that illustrate our vision and plan into the future
- Maintain a business proposal that makes a compelling case for continued investment into products
- Collaborate with other stakeholders such as product marketing on positioning of products
- Drive buy-build-partner analysis, and where necessary, support development of strategic partner relationships for products
- Know why we are winning and losing in the market, and drive changes to our product and processes to create improvement
- Keep a finger on the pulse of our competition and develop strategies and tactics to win in the market
Experience & Requirements
- 8+ years of product management experience and 3+ years of supervisory experience
- Track record of successful product ideation, commercialization, and go-to-market within the wireless industry
- Tech savvy and passionate about building products
- Strong collaboration, critical thinking, and business strategy skills
- High aptitude for listening and understanding customer/market problems and the ability to help formulate solutions
- Deep understanding of technical and commercial practices in wireless protocol testing a strong plus
- Track record of using qualitative and quantitative data to prioritize and drive decision-making
- Proficient in productivity applications such as Microsoft Office, Project, or Basecamp
- Comfortable using collaboration and CRM tools such as Microsoft Teams, JIRA, and Salesforce
- Metrics-driven: Strong analytical and synthesis skills are a must, including the ability to absorb and process data into actionable information
- Experience with best practice agile development and lean startup principles
- Curious and comfortable holding professional conversations with our target buyers and users
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including speaking to public or senior audiences
- Excellent people and management skills to interact with colleagues, cross-functional teams and third parties
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, or similar discipline (MBA preferred)
Competitive compensation and benchmark benefits package, including 100% employee paid healthcare premiums, 401K matching, generous PTO, and fitness allowance. Wi-Fi Alliance staff travel all over the world to engage with members, partners, and government – a unique opportunity to gain international experience and witness the impact of Wi-Fi.
If you have the talent and skills to be incredibly successful as a Director of Product Management and as a member of our team, we want to hear from you. To be considered for this role, please forward your resume and a cover letter outlining your interest, including your salary requirements, to email@example.com. This position is located in Austin, TX, no relocation is available. To learn more about Wi-Fi Alliance, please visit our website at www.wi-fi.org. Wi-Fi Alliance participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
About Wi-Fi Alliance®
Wi-Fi Alliance® is the worldwide network of companies that brings you Wi-Fi®. Members of our collaboration forum come together from across the Wi-Fi ecosystem with the shared vision to connect everyone and everything, everywhere, while providing the best possible user experience. Since 2000, Wi-Fi Alliance has completed more than 50,000 Wi-Fi certifications. The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ seal of approval designates products with proven interoperability, backward compatibility, and the highest industry-standard security protections in place. Today, Wi-Fi carries more than half of the internet’s traffic in an ever-expanding variety of applications. Wi-Fi Alliance continues to drive the adoption and evolution of Wi-Fi, which billions of people rely on every day.